Thursday, April 15, 2010

Measurement

Yesterday, in my math class, we went over measurement. The overall consensus of the class is that the metric system is way easier to work with. The units with the English system are so much harder to remember if you don't use it on a regular basis. The metric system has common increments and prefixes that are universal for length, volume, and mass. Most people find it easier to work with decimals over fractions and the metric system uses decimals while the English system uses fractions.
We also worked on converting to different units in class. I remember learning how to do conversions a long time ago, but I felt like it was a good refresher and I caught on to it much quicker. There was a website that I found that was helpful with showing what to multiply by to convert between the metric and English systems of measurement.

5 comments:

  1. I agree, well for the most part. I like using the English version better for certain things, but for the most part I like the metric system better too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also have to agree that the metric system is a much easier way to do things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hated doing the inches part in this excersize. I forgot how to read the ruler, and so I was confused. But then when she refreshed my memory, it was still time consuming to work with fractions.

    ReplyDelete